Settlement permit while holding a temporary contract (6 months)

sarah123 • 30 March 2024

Hi,
I'm holding a researcher permit (§18d). After the 3-year contract ends, my supervisor will extend my contract for six months. The new law requires only three years of holding §18d residence permit (https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/visa-residence/living-permanently/settlement-permit) to be eligible for a settlement permit. My questions are:

1/ Can I apply for the settlement permit when the current permit with a 3-year contract expires and prove that I'm still being employed with the extended 6-month contract?

2/ If I get rejected, can I still apply for a job seeker visa, which is a benefit of holding §18d permit after the contract ends?

Thanks!

Answers (1)

Moderation

Hi sarah123, thank you for reaching out to us.
Yes, you should be able to apply for a permanent residence if you can proof that you have had the title of §18d for 3 years and with the extension of the 6months and providing you fulfill the other requirements. You can find the list in the link that you provided.
In general, once you finish with your research residency you are can apply for the job seeking residency which can be issued for up to 6months. Again, you will need to check if you can fulfill the requirements for this residency. Usually, the main requirement is that you can cover your living expenses.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Best wishes

To post please log in or register.