Residence permit

Shadan • 6 November 2023

Hi,

i am an asylum seeker from Afghanistan and since 2021 i am here in Germany. i had italy's fingerprint and following i got Dublin and Duldung. since June 2022 i live here without Duldung. but still i have not gotten residence permit from BAMF. it has been 17 months that i am waithing for residence permit. is it normal?

Kategorie
Residence permit

Answers (3)

Moderation

Hello Shadan, thank you for reaching out to us.
That is a very long time to wait for the residence permit. I am sorry to hear that, it must be frustrating. Currently the immigration offices are very overworked because they are understaffed. But 17 months seems like a very long time.
To get a better understanding of the situation can I ask you if you already received the decision from BAMF? It could be that the BAMF is still making a decision on your asylum case. This can take quite a long time, unfortunately.
Here you can read more about the decision from BAMF and what it means: https://handbookgermany.de/en/asylum-procedure#faq_52
If you have already received the decision from BAMF then you should apply for a so called residence permit at your local immigration office.
Also could you let me know the city you live in, this will help me search for a counseling center if needed.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best wishes

Shadan

i recieved a letter on 22nd of June 2022 which mentioned that the return period to Itlay is over and from now on Germany is responsible for my asylum procedure. sine that time i got my work permit and i work till now. but unfurtunatly i have not recieved the residence permit yet. it quite long time.
i live in Gera 07545 Thuringen.

Moderation

Hello Shadan, thanks for the clarification and apologies for the late reply. I am sorry to hear the BAMF is taking so long to make a decision. Until your asylum case is decided on you will have a so-called "Aufenthaltsgestattung". It is a green/red paper. I have attached a copy. You currently hold this, right?
You have probably already done the interview with BAMF but it would be a good idea to prepare for this if you haven’t. We have some resources for you to read about the asylum interview and procedure here: https://handbookgermany.de/en/asylum-procedure
Sometimes it can help to contact a migration counseling center and ask if a Lawyer can have a so called “Akteneinsicht” to see why it is taking so long for the BAMF to come to a decision.
The Diakonie in Gera is such a counseling center, have you already had contact with them? They can help you with the next steps and see why it is taking the BAMF so long to make a decision. You can call or email them and ask for an appointment explaining your situation. Below you find the website with the phone contacts and here is the mail: asyl.do@diako-thueringen.de
https://www.diako-thueringen.de/gera_asylverfahrensberatung_in_ostthuer…
Please let me know if you were able to reach them or if you need help reaching them.
I hope the BAMF will soon come to a decision.
Best wishes
Yara

To post please log in or register.