Options to keep staying in Germany after unsuccessful 18-months of job-search visa

AJ • 9 January 2024

Dear Yara, my current situation has some similarities to rddhy916. I have closely read through both of your messages.
Just so that I am clear on my issue...

I completed my master's studies in December 2022 and received a job-search visa for 18 months. I have for the past 12 months had no success in finding a job related to my study. Neither do I qualify for other skilled jobs. So I decided to start a new career path that has job prospects here.

Can I apply for an ausbildung with my remaining 6 months job-search visa?
If not, what are my options?
Can the residency officials issue a different visa or permit that allows me to start a new career?
Can my current visa be extended to enable me to successfully apply and start an ausbildung?

Lastly, I have been considering the option of applying for permanent residency. You replied riddhy916 that 'it is unfortunately not possible to change from a student residency to a permanent residency directly'.
Is my current residency also deemed a 'student residency'?

Answers (2)

Moderation

Dear AJ thank you for asking your question, it’s great to see you also read through the other similar questions from the community. In general, your current residency is linked to finding a qualified job. It will be a bit of a challenge to switch to an Ausbildung and can be refused by the immigration office.
If you want to switch to an Ausbildung residency you will need the approval of the immigration office and have all the required documents for starting an Ausbildung.
I would suggest that you also contact a counseling center near you that can help you with the next steps and look at other options with you. You can find one using the BMAF navi: https://bamf-navi.bamf.de/en/
If you let me know here in Germany you are then I can look for one close to you.
Your current residency should be a residency for the job search after completion of studies according to 20 Abs. 3 residency law. Unfortunately, those who have completed their studies in Germany only become eligible for permanent residence after having worked as skilled workers for two years.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Best wishes

AJ

Dear Yara,
thank you very much for your response. I am very grateful for the information you have shared with me.
I unfortunately realized that I had the wrong notion about the kind of job I need to keep staying in the country days ago :(
I live in Bremen.

Thanks again!

To post please log in or register.