Fund for doing PhD

Nika • 21 July 2022

I have a two-year residence permit in Germany and am looking to do a Ph.D. Can you please help me with how I can apply for funds and how can I approach the universities?

For further information, I have asked Jobcentre for financial support; however, it is rejected.

Thank you in Advance 



Answers (4)


Hello Nika, thank you for your question. If you have already earned a master’s degree and want to pursue your academic career, you can apply to join a PhD programme. Depending on your subject, it can take two or more years to research, write and publish your dissertation. If you consider doing a PhD, you need to first find a professor (“Doktorvater” or “Doktormutter”) who is willing to accept you as a PhD student. Only once you have found a supervisor, you can apply to join a PhD program at their university. Here you can have more information in how to find a supervisor and what type of PhD's are available:…
Correct the Job Center does not offer financial support for students or PhD candidates. Usually PhD positions are also paid. You can also apply for scholarships via the DAAD.…

Best of luck for your search and application Nika, if you have further questions please let me know.
Bets wishes


thank you so much for your reply, it is very useful


hi, I have found the supervisor so I need a scholarship how can I find it?

To post please log in or register.