citizenship before 8 years

nmackay • 18 August 2023

I read the following- 

Under certain conditions, you can obtain German citizenship after less than eight years.

• If you have completed the integration course, you can obtain German citizenship after seven years.
  • If you are very well integrated, e.g. if you speak German very well or have been involved in voluntary work in Germany for many years, you can become naturalised after just six years

But i've also heard this can be done after 5 years. What does 'speak German very well' mean exactly? Is this saying that if i speak say, to a C1 level i could apply after 6 (5??) years? 

How long does the process take? 

Is there any indication as to how long it will take them to pass the law concerning dual citizenship? 

What happens if one gains citizenship and decides to leave Germany for several years? 

Kategorie
Other

Answers (1)

Moderation

Dear nmackay thank you for your valuable question!
Firstly, it is correct that there are possibilities to be able to apply for German citizenship before the usual duration. It is great that you found the information on our website, Handbook Germany, about naturalisation useful.
In general, you are eligible to apply for the German citizenship after 8 years of legal stay in Germany. Additionally, there are more requirements, which you can find summarized here: https://handbookgermany.de/en/citizenship#faq_145 If you match all those requirements, you are eligible to obtain the German citizenship, a so-called "Anspruchseinbürgerung".
Alternatively, an application can also be granted by the approval of the responsible authorities, e.g. a successful completed integration course. Also, well speaking German language skills, as you suggested, of the level of C1, can also be sufficient. It is important to notice, that an earlier application for citizenship is a case-to-case decision made by your responsible case-worker. In contrast to "Anspruchseinbürgerung", this earlier "Ermessenseinbürgerung" is a discretionary decision by the authorities and doesn't have to be granted earlier. You might need to wait to fullfill the 8 years after all.
Unfortunately, we cannot tell you how long the process will take. This depends on the city you will apply at and their current work load.
Please note, that currently there is no option to apply after 5 years of residence in Germany. This is part of the new law, which is still in discussion and not implemented yet. As well as the possibility of dual citizenship. The government announced to implement the final law probably in April 2024.
After receiving the German citizenship you have the possibility to leave the country for some years. If it is not an EU country, you must meet the requirements in your planned country, to be able to stay in the country long-term to work or live.
Nevertheless, it is very recommendable to reach out to a migration counselling center. They can go through your documents and have a look if you are already eligible to apply for a naturalisation. If you would like to share your city you are living, I can support you. Otherwise, you have the possibility to check it by yourself: https://bamf-navi.bamf.de/en/Themen/Migrationsberatung/
Happy if you get back to us, so we can connect you with a counselling center. Wish you all the best with you application! Please let me know if you have further questions.

To post please log in or register.