Article 50

tilly.kinghorn • 12 November 2023
2 comments
0 likes

Hi there, Im a UK Citizen. I've been living in Bavaria since January 2020 on the Article 50 Temporary residence permit. In December 2023 I will be marrying my German fiance. I'm aware that for Permanent residency the minimum duration is 5 years residency. But I've read that you can fast-track this in certain situations, one of them being marriage (being fast tracked down to 3 years).

I've not been able to find anywhere about a minimum length of time that you have to be married for to get fast track permanent residency (only citizenship). Once we are married in December would I automatically become eligible for fast-track permanent residency? As in January, i will have been here for 4 years. 

Thank you very much 

Answers (2)

Moderation

Dear tilly.kinghorn, thank you for reaching out.
Congratulations on your engagement and your soon to be marriage.
I am wondering about your residence permit you are holding. Are you currently holding a residence permit according to §50 AufenthG? You can check the § on your plastic card.
Nevertheless, you assumed correct, that a marriage to a German citizen gives you earlier advantages to apply for a permanent residency (PR) after 3 years. You can find more information on our website, Handbook Germany or BAMF.
Your local foreigners department should also list the necessary requirements. For example here is the list for Munich .
Lastly, to benefit from the advantages of family reunion, please note, that the 3 years will start after your marriage. At this point you are only entitled to the benefits. This means, besides the duration, you will need to provide a language certificate (B1) and a secured livelihood at the end of 2026 at the earliest.
Alternatively, since you are here for nearly 4 years, you can also apply after 5 years for a regular PR. To discuss your options, you can reach out to a migration counselling center in your area. If you would like to share your current city, I can support you finding one or you can have a look at this search mask: https://bamf-navi.bamf.de/en/Themen/Migrationsberatung/
Wish you a wonderful marriage.
Feel free to get back to us, if you have further questions.

To post please log in or register.