22 S. 2 AUFENTHG / after 3 years

zuh • 13 April 2024
3 comments
0 likes

Hello TiG team. 
many afghans who were evacuated during 2021 will soon have their 3 year permit status expire by end of 2024. So is my case. 
also, I have been working full time since jan 2023 and have not received any benefits from job center as of August 2022. My question is. 
1) . does the three year Résidence requirement with C1 level language certificate qualifies me for naturalization? 
2. if not. What’s the next step for afghans with 22 S. 2 AUFENTHG status ? Should they apply for permanent residency or they will be have another 3 years of residence permit issued. Thank you and appreciate if there is any clear guidance on this matter. 

Answers (3)

Moderation

Hello zuh , thank you for reaching out to us. Your C1 Certificate is impressive! Unfortunately, to become a German citizen, you need to have a permanent residence permit ("Niederlassungserlaubnis") or a residence permit that allows you to get a permanent residence permit. Also, you need to have been living in Germany legally for at least eight years. You can find more information here: https://handbookgermany.de/en/citizenship To your second question, do you mean if you have to apply for an extension of your stay or if it will be automatically extended? I am waiting for your answer. Best Barbara

zuh

Thank you Barbara for the explanation and reply. I appreciate this. My question is that how do I apply for the extension of my residence permit ? Is there a link online or what’s the procedure.
Regarding the 8 year stay in Germany, isn’t this changed under the new legislation to 3-5 years depending on work and language factors. Thanks

Moderation

Hallo zuh , You will have to apply for an extension of your stay at the Immigration Office. Unfortunately the new naturalization law has not yet come into force and we do not know when it will. I hope this information is useful for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Best Barbara

To post please log in or register.